Sunday, September 7, 2008

Who Needs Sleep?


I've only got a few short minutes to write this, as the school day starts in about 10 minutes, and I have to be a teacher :)

First, I've been getting a tremendous amount of requests for my address here (that is lie - mainly from my mom and Abby), so here it is!

Cady Tolon
B.P. 6558
Kigali, Rwanda

That is actually the P.O. box for the school, since they don't really have a mail system here like we're used to in the US.  They don't really have streets here, hence no street addresses... Makes getting directions here a pain in the tuckus.

Second, a little bit about my first week of teaching here at KICS.  To save time, I'll just make a list for you of some of my favorite and/or unique events from the past week:

1. Floris from Holland, fainted on Day 1
2. Ishyaka from Rwanda, spewed his lunch all over his desk and Word of the Day book on Day 5
3. Louise from Uganda, completely obvlious to the class going on around her, will randomly burst into song AND dance (seriously, during group work, instruction time, and silent reading, I will look over and see her mouthing words to herself and doing the cabbage patch)
4. Arnold from Rwanda, on his 4th grade interview sheet, listed "my new teacher" for the thing he liked most :) (Clearly, he's my little brown-noser, but I still love it!)
5. We made a "dream quilt" of our yearly goals, and Pazi from Italy wrote: 
"I would like to build a brand new creation.  It will be a floating boat.  A small one of wood." and drew an accompanying picture.  
I'm not quite sure why this tickled me so much.  It was just so cute, and I really hate to break it to him that this isn't quite a "new" creation.  It's been done before...
6.  Mrs. Tarja, the secretary from Finland who basically runs the school, told me her favorite movie is Finding Nemo.  I was ecstatic and we are best friends forever now.

All this, plus more has happened in the past week, including my computer cord basically blowing up, a behemoth gecko lurking in the pantry, and me unknowingly mooning the city of Kigali for about 10 minutes while walking home (apparently my skirt was tucked in the bottom of my backpack and I had no clue, so a lot of people walking behind me got a bit of a show... luckily, ever since elementary school and those monkey bars, I've worn bike shorts under skirts/dresses if I know I'll be doing stuff, or wearing the skirt/dress for an extended period of time... but still, how embarassing).

And of course, being a first year teacher who doesn't have internet (or consistent hot water and electricty) at her house, I have yet to leave the school before dark each day, and with still no textbooks, lesson planning is really running my life (hence the title of this blog).  

But, of course, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

PS - Don't be impressed by my artistic endeavors from looking at that awesome signs up there.  One of the middle school students here did it for me...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

#3 is by far my favorite. i want to be best friends with her.

The Morris Family said...

You totally crack me up! I love reading these updates from you! You are amazing!
And the whole skirt caught in the backpack, must run in the family because well, let's just say it's happened one too many times to me!

We love you and are so excited for you!!
Love,
Jess

Joni & Mike Tolon said...

Hey Cady, Miss Houte read your blog and came and found me. The little girl singing and dancing totally reminded her of her first year teaching a Cady girl! If she can figure out how to do the blog signup she will write you herself! Joel is wanting you to catch the water buffalo cockroach and bring him home. The Venzel kids surely need another pet! We are all thinking you need to put all of these experiences in a book and publish it. Tell the secretary who loves Nemo that we are like spirits! Hugs and Kisses, mama

karla farr said...

One of the things I love most about you is your laugh and your ability to make others laugh. And you are still doing it from so far away. GOd bless you sweetie, enjoy reading this. Karla

Anonymous said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I was on a study abroad with FH last semester and worked at KICS for my practicum...I am so jealous because I worked with the then 2/3 classroom and you have a few of my kids like Alexis, Arnold, and I think I saw Rodas too...Have a fantastic time in Rwanda, I loved it!

Mike and Debby said...

Cady,I'm excited to hear the love of adventure in your blog! God bless you on your quest! May your spirit blend with those new friends you will encounter and sing a wonderful new song.
Praying for you!
Mike Thomas