Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A chair is not a house, and a house is not a home

Guess what guys? We got one! We have a house in Kigali! I can tell you are as shocked as I am... It has been a very long and often frustrating process, but it looks like we finally have a place of our very own to live! And would you like to know how this came about? Well you're in luck – I'll tell ya right now, as it's a very interesting story.

Late last week, we set out once again to house-hunt, and see what we could find. The whole process took an entire day, and we still hadn't found anything. Many of the houses we saw were nice, and we considered taking them, but as soon as the landlord found out we were Americans, the prices sky-rocketed way out of our budget. This was annoying the first couple times it happened, but by the fifth time, we were pretty much steam-out-of-our-ears angry. It really was a type of prejudice that none of us had ever experienced first hand, and were having quite a hard time understanding how people could do that. By the end of the day, we still hadn't found a thing.The next day we went into town (where I bought some cool African cloth and had a skirt made, how indigenous am I??), and were walking around when we got a phone call from our wonderful headmaster Brian (who had been running around like a madman trying to find us a place to live, bless his lil heart) and found out there were 2 more houses we might be interested in that he was going to look at within the hour. He said he could go by himself and take pictures, so not everyone would have to go. Later that evening we all met up, and he showed us the pictures of the houses. They were both nice houses, and although neither really screamed perfection, they were perfectly acceptable, and we settled on one that was close to a missionary family we knew in Kigali. The down side would be that we couldn't move in until September 5th, a week after school started for us. We would have to mooch off some wonderful families until we could move in, and although these families are AMAZING, I'm sure having stranger houseguests for 2 weeks is no one's idea of a good time. None of us were overly thrilled, but we all were completely content, and just relieved to have finally found a house.

That is, until today.

Today, we found out that the landlord (surprise, surprise) had found out who we were, and increased the price by over $200/month. No thank you. We were all extremely frustrated at this point, and mere seconds from moving mattresses into our classrooms and putting up “God Bless This Home” signs. There really wasn't anything we could do, except pray. So that's what we did.

My roomies and I prayed for quite a while and began to feel so much more peaceful about the situation. We knew there was one more option for a house that we could look at that was still available, and while we weren't confident it would pull through, knew that whatever happened, God was in control.

We decided that instead of all of us going, just one should see it, and report back. The first grade teacher, Shannon, volunteered to go, so off she went. We are all so busy trying to get our classrooms ready for the year, we had plenty of stuff to do while she checked it out. When she returned, we all anxiously awaited her review. The tension in the air was thick, and the deafening silence before she began was thick with anticipation and shattered dreams (please note my sarcasm and overly dramatic sentiments here!)

But Shannon's huge grin told us it was good news. The house is only a seven minute drive from school, fully furnished, with rooms for all of us, and one to spare! Of course, we weren't sold yet, as we knew we'd heard this story before – the house is great, but the landlord is a Greedy Gus and wants as much moolah as he or she can get. So, then came the cool part. Once they had looked the house over, they (well, the real estate agent) called the landlord and told them we were interested. Now, this is usually the part where things get a lil' shady. But, thankfully, Someone was looking out for us :) The landlord is out of the country, so he's having a relative rent it for him. This relative happens to be the mom of several of the students at the school that all of us teachers happen to teach at! She was so sweet and sympathetic to our plight, and told us that she would not let anyone else look at the house if we wanted it, AND would call her relative and see if he would knock off $200/month of the rent!!!

Now how do you like them apples?!?

So, there ya have it. The landlord's relative is coming by the school tomorrow so we can sign the papers, and move in this weekend to our new house. Yet again, God is showing His power, and I will never ceased to be amazed by it.

We started our in-service this week, and working diligently in our classrooms to prepare for our students and the coming school year. It is quite the daunting task, and I have to admit, if I think about it too much, my hair will literally start to fall out by itself. But, I keep reminding myself that if I wasn't supposed to be here – I wouldn't be here. I am here for a purpose, and I truly could not be more thrilled about it.

I will write more soon about the school and my classroom (I love saying “my classroom”, I feel so grown up!) Love you all and keep in touch!

*My roommates and I are sure Dora the Explorer would have found us a house right away if she'd have been here. She can find anything!

6 comments:

karla farr said...

Cady, I am so excited to hear how God is working in your life there and preparing the way. He is in the miracle business. I will continue to pray for his wisdom and guidance as you meet your students and begin your classes. Miss you, Karla

Joni & Mike Tolon said...

Hi sis,

Well once again, God wins the game! Dad and I have been praying everyday for you and your roommates to find the perfect spot. I am so excited for all of you. God is so good. Love, Mama
Also, it is really great that your parents are not the only ones who read your blog. Even Karla is here :)))

Prodigal Knot said...

Love your theme from Cat Stevens! Makes me feel very, very old though. I was a teenager when that song came out :(

I don't think you know me, but it's encouraging to see someone from Metro making a difference in other's lives and experiencing God's answers to prayer.

God bless and keep you all safe!

Anonymous said...

boogers.

Anonymous said...

That is soooo soooo funny!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is joel!!! I didn't know how to get my name like mom and dads so i'm putting my name up here... lol
This is funny, thats all i wanted to say about this picture... Have funn!!!