Saturday, August 16, 2008

Leavin' on a jet plane!

**This post was copied from a Word Document on a plane on August 14th :) **


Right now, I am sitting on a plane to Washington D.C., where after a measly 10 hour layover, I will board a plane to Ethiopia, and then on to Kigali, Rwanda. I am supposed to be in Kigali on Saturday the 16th in the afternoon, their time, but we'll see. We all know how airplanes are these days :) I said goodbye to family and friends this week, which seems a lot harder to do when you don't really know what lies ahead. I am much more “put together” when it comes to saying goodbye if I know for sure what's gonna come next. But since I don't, I wasn't. Put together, that is. I cried like a baby at the airport, and unfortunately, was still a trifle weepy when I boarded the plane, much to the discomfort of other passengers. Oh well, they can get over it. I'm much better now. I am trying to hold onto a child-like faith here, and give everything I have to God, since if it were any other way, I would totally lose it. I know I would not be here right now unless it was where He wanted me, so I my peace lies in that.

In DC, I get to see some “long lost friends”, hopefully, from high school, so I'm very excited about that too. My 10 hour layover is between the hours of 12 midnight and 10 am, making sight-seeing and really any activity a bit difficult. Luckily, Laura and Jared King are way too cool, and are sacrificing sleep and comfort to provide me with just a bit of company. Lucky me!

I'm not sure of the exact day I will start teaching, but it is roughly two weeks after I arrive in Kigali. Last I heard, I have 10 students in my class from 8 different countries!! I love it!!! I can not wait to meet them, and begin the year. Despite what the Cady from 4 months ago during student teaching might tell you, I really have been missing teaching the past few weeks, and am excited to be in a classroom again. One of my master teachers used a really cool curriculum using all cooperative learning called “Tribes” and I'm anxious to begin the same sort of thing in my own class. My suitcases were all significantly overweight, since I may have packed enough for an entire classroom, and then some.

Most of the other new teachers are all taking the same flight from DC tomorrow morning, so I am extremely excited to meet and get to know my new colleagues. I am even smiling as I write this just thinking about it! (Which may or may not be freaking out the passenger next to me)

Well, I should stop now. The man in front of me just leaned back in his chair and I can't really see the computer screen anymore. Love you all, and I hope to hear from you soon!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I still want a poncho with a V-neck (like joel) and I wouldn't mind if you somehow transported a sea turtle to the states.

Also, I found a youtube video of the cute guy from OC/Rwanda so you can better identify him when you no doubt meet on the streets. I miss you!!!

becka

The Morris Family said...

Hi Lady Cady!!

Just wanted you to know that we love you and miss you already!! I was seriously looking forward to the going on the cruise with you!! But I know you will have an amazing time!
We all love you!
Love,
Jess, Shane and Luke

Anonymous said...

Cady!

I am so excited for everything that God is going to do with you this year! I hope that you find support and encouragement from your colleagues and are able to keep a child-like faith in God.

Love,
Cait

nwkate said...

Cady,
Your Mom passed your email on to me (hope you don't mind) and I wanted to send you my love and best wishes. You are taking an incredible journey here (and not just in the half-way around the world sense) and I envy you all the things you will learn about the world, life, and yourself.
Have a blast!
Love, Kate (since we're all grown-ups here, no more "Mrs. Eakman" stuff!)